Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Second Bag Syndrome

Curing 2nd bag syndrome
Curing 2nd bag syndrome by marielmcp featuring vintage tote bags


Most women suffer from second-bag syndrome. On one shoulder is a lovely stylish handbag, which holds one's wallet, make-up, mobile, keys, sunglasses and other necessary items. The second bag, most commonly a cloth shopper, though in some instances may be a plastic carrier bag or backpack, holds items such as work shoes/high heels, lunch, reading/work materials, and/or groceries.

One of the greatest dangers of second bag syndrome is shoulder fatigue – this somes in several forms – you are trying to keep one bag on each shoulder and are holding them in place so that both elbows stick out – this is a hazard to others, not to mention a pain in the elbow. Another danger occurs when, in haste, you throw one of your more necessary primary handbag items into the bottomless pit of a second bag - cue struggling to find ringing mobiles, keys to open doors or even that fiver you swore you had two minutes ago.

I have been suffering from second bag syndrome for sometime. I make my way to work on foot and it is about a 45 minute commute, so good athletic shoes on my feet are a must. I can’t really keep shoes under or in my desk, which means I must carry them to the office with me. I also tend to take my lunch to work because it is healthier for my bank account and waistline.

Last summer I bought a black Ampelmannchen bag in Berlin to use as a second bag. I had previously carried bags that were natural cotton tones and realized these bags get dingy very quickly, so black was a good option. This bag coupled with one of many handbags has been my Monday to Friday burden.

For sometime I skept thinking and saying that I would to treat myself to a lovely bag that was big enough and stylish enough to fit both requirements. An Hermes Birkin? An LV Neverfull? Gucci tote? A girl can dream, but has to get realistic at some point.

Last week I had enough, it was time to sort something out. Plus I think spring/summer is the perfect time to carry an oversized bag of some sort. Plus good patterns are easier to find and carry. The search began…I fell in love with the newspaper Kate Spade one and nearly bought it and had it shipped to my poor mother to ship to me. I decided against this, though am still contemplating asking her for it for my birthday.  DVF has some very cute totes as does Marc by Marc Jacobs, but really I need to watch my pennies. H&M just didn’t have what I was looking for.

I was tired and hungry and had just about given up on Dundrum Town Centre and headed for the Luas. Then I remembered the Cath Kidston shop and was going to grab an apron – I have been going through a major baking phase recently. Instead of grabbing an apron I grabbed the starry shopper shown here. It is the perfect size and is oilcloth, so can withstand rain and dirt and I can carry everything in it. Plus it’s brightly coloured for the summer and was a highly affordable €22. I found the cure for my second-bag syndrome.

1 comment:

  1. OOoh, i'm not usually one for Cath Kidston, but I actually love that bag - great value too!

    ReplyDelete