Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Give me Liberty!


Once upon a time, I resided on Great Portland Street, London, W1. I lived and worked in a pub and during my hours and days off would wander a number of high street shops, Selfridges and Liberty of London.

Liberty is the only shop I have ever been intimidated walking into. The Tudor revival architecture made me feel like I was entering another realm. The colours, lighting and displays were all so meticulous and beautiful, I was afraid I might bump into something. The salespeople were friendly, but I felt as if I’d fallen through the wardrobe and landed in fashion Narnia.

I never managed to buy anything at Liberty, but I found a lovely vintage, silk scarf in A Store is Born in Dublin a few years ago and had my then boyfriend purchase it for me as a gift. It is not a typical Liberty floral, but that is part of what I love about it.

I love that it is a fairly simple grid-like pattern, which then becomes a bit more adventurous with the tassels. The tassels remind me a bit of mome raths from the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland. The colours are a bit hard to describe – they’re vibrant, but subdued. I’ve been known to wear it as a necklace, belt and scarf, of course. 

1 comment: